The Need for Strong Marriages

My friend Eric Metaxas asserts, "If strong marriages are the foundation of a healthy society, we've got a lot of repair work to do."

He cites several alarming statistics. In 2010, for the first time in our history, married couples no longer form the majority of American households. In 1950, married couples made up 78 percent of all households. In 2010, they made up only 48 percent of American households--a nearly forty percent decline! Furthermore married couples with kids comprise only 20 percent of households in America. This makes me, a man married to the same woman for 18 years with three kids, a rare breed in America. Dare I say an endangered species?

I am not trying to toot my own horn. I am making a humble plea for couple to get married and remain faithful to their wedding vows. Examine the raw data. Fidelity in marriage results in more wealth, better health, and more prosperous children. The statistics all point to the same conclusion: If you want your kids to do well in life, get married and stay married.

Of course, marriage isn't for everyone. I have many friends and some family members who are single. Some have chosen to remain single. But for those who want to live together and those who want to have kids, marriage is clearly the best option. Oh, and yes, it is God's design.

To view or listen to Eric's commentary, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All His Children

The First Thanksgiving without My Mom

Works of Art