L-O-V-E

Love is an amazing thing. When you see it truly demonstrated between two people you can't help but be moved. I'm amazed at how Heather continues to show me love even when I continue to be a jerk.

God's love to us is an astounding thing. When you understand how he demonstrated his love by giving his life for us you can't help but be moved. John records how Jesus "loved [his] disciples to the end" in John 13. "He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin...to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him." The Master serving the disciples in this way is astounding. George Herbert, the Welsh poet and priest, wrote about this kind of love:
LOVE (III)

Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lack'd anything.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here";
Love said, "You shall be he."
"I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear,
I cannot look on thee."
Love took my hand and smiling did reply,
"Who made the eyes but I?"

"Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame
Go where it doth deserve."
"And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?"
"My dear, then I will serve."
"You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat."
So I did sit and eat.

Jesus went on to instruct his disciples, "If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All His Children

The First Thanksgiving without My Mom

Works of Art